Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese




The other night I came home from work/working out at 7:30, hungry and tired. Though everyone else had arrived home before me, no one had taken any initiative to get dinner started. (Does this happen in your house too?) Since it was getting close to grocery shopping day and there wasn't much in the fridge, I figured it was a good time for comfort food. (Any excuse, really.) A quick Google search for gluten free mac and cheese turned up this recipe from Gluten Free Mom (great site!). I tweaked it for my purposes and voila:

Gluten Free Mac and Cheese

1 lb Tinkyada brown rice penne, cooked for 9 minutes or until al dente
3 T butter
2 T rice flour (any GF flour will work)
 ½ t salt
 Dash of pepper
2 cups milk
 ¼ cup finely chopped onion (optional)
2 cloves garlic (optional)
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar (or other favorite) cheese plus more for the top.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and butter a 1 ½ quart casserole.

Cook GF pasta in salted water according to package directions.

In a saucepan, melt 3 T butter. 

Add the onions and garlic (optional)

On medium heat, blend in 2 T GF flour, salt and pepper. 

Stirring constantly, slowly add 3 cups milk (GF Mom says, "I have noticed that GF flour seems to blend better at a higher temperature, so I add the flour and milk at a temperature that is a little higher than I’d use for traditional wheat flour." Excellent suggestion!)

Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.

Add cheddar cheese.  Stir until melted.

Mix with the cooked macaroni and turn into the casserole dish. 

Add more cheese on top. (I probably used an additional cup of combined cheddar, Monterey jack, and mozzarella.) 

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes and uncovered for 10 additional minutes if you like the top crispy.

If I had had more energy and not been multi-tasking (talking on the phone, planning daughter's graduation party) I would have added some GF bread crumbs and gone out to the garden and cut some fresh chives to put on top before baking.

I served it with a green salad.  

Verdict: four yums up and we had enough left over for a few lunches.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see this gluten free version of mac n cheese. There are increasingly better packaged varieties, but c'mon... there's no substitute for real mac n cheese, right?

    ~Regan Jones RD
    Cabot Creamery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of The Gluten Free Girl? Her blog is a wonderful resource: http://glutenfreegirl.com. Just thought I'd pass it along!

    ReplyDelete